Grafana is an open source dashboard application that you can use to visualise pretty much everything in your front end or back end. How cool is that! During this course you will learn about the basic principles of data visualisation and more specifically, how to use Grafana. Know how about these basic principles is getting quite essential in our current world full of big data.
The course is not limited to Grafana however. In order to visualise anything, you need data. You will learn how to identify interesting measuring points, how to measure them, and process the following data in a back end. Grafana supports a wide range of back ends, possibly the one you are currently working with? During this day of training you will be working with Sensu (monitoring), InfluxDB (metrics) and Elastic (logging). The course will be in Dutch.
This course is intended for system administrators or consultants who:
- Wish to gain more insight in monitoring and the possibilities of monitoring
- Want to finetune or expand their current monitoring stack with other sources of information
- Want to present or visualise information
In order to follow the course, you need basic knowledge of Linux. All levels of experience are welcome, since the trainer will be able to adjust the course per participant accordingly. Therefor, basic knowledge of monitoring applications (such as Nagios/Icinga, Zabbix, Graphite, Prometheus, Sensu, Telegraf / InfluxDB, Elastic (ELK)) or comparable software is welcome, but not required. Participants with less experience will be supported by pre-made scripts. Additionally, basic knowledge of statistics is welcome, but not necessary.
The following subjects will be covered:
- Introduction to monitoring, tips, and measuring methods
- Basic principles of time series data
- Best practices for alerting
- Use of different kinds of data as an information source
- Identifying usable information in log files
- Dealing with the implications of real-time data, errors in data and missing data
- Gaining insight in the status of your datacenter through monitoring
- Applying measuring points and the basics of time series databases
- Using several visualisation possibilities of Grafana
- Combining multiple data sources in Grafana
- Expanding Grafana functionality with external plugins
After the Grafana course:
- Participants will know how to configure and arrange Grafana
- Participants will know the basic principles of data visualisation
- Participants will have insight in the possibilities of several visualisation types
- Participants will know which type of data to collect and process
- Participants will be able to identify mistakes in data and correct them where necessary
- Participants will be aware of monitoring pitfalls
Study Material and Examination
We suggest you have a thorough look at the Getting Started page of the Grafana documentation prior to the course: http://docs.grafana.org/guides/getting_started/. The workstations will be pre-configured with several functional back ends, on which you will configure Grafana. At the end of the course you will be quizzed on your new knowledge through a short theoretical exam. That way you will be able to see how much you’ve learned already, and what topics you should study for. After the course you’ll have plenty of time to ask all your practical questions!
Location and Time
This one day training will be held onsite at Snow B.V. (De Ooyen 11, Geldermalsen) on:
- Friday February 8th from 9.00 a.m. until 5.00 p.m.
We will provide you with a nice lunch from 12.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Please let us know about any dietary restrictions via email@example.com.